Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Catholic Wedding Music Guide

Catholic wedding music help!

When planning a Catholic Wedding, there is almost always a question about what music is allowed in the church.  As a general rule, you should select music categorize as sacred as opposed to secular.  When it comes to selecting processional and recessional songs, you can select from the classical selections listed below. Often times, the church classifies a classical song as sacred if it was originally commissioned by the Catholic Church.  Some churches make small exceptions to the sacred music rule for prelude songs.  Allowances may be made for songs that have a religious theme/message even though they are technically not hymns.

Prelude:
This is the one place where you have a little bit of freedom in terms of music selection.  That being said, please check with your church about their music policy before selecting your songs.

Any Music Issue or Missalette Hymn
Air on the G String
Ave Maria
The Prayer
You Raise Me Up
Where There is Love

Entrances:

Hail Mary, Gentle Woman (Mothers/Grandmothers entrance)
Bridal March
Canon in "D"
Jesus, Joy Man's Desiring
Joyful, Joyful
Trumpet Voluntary
Wedding March

Responsorial Psalm:

Any Psalm
All I Ask
Faith Hope and Love
God is Love
I Will Praise Your Name
I Have Loved You
Love Which Never Ends
O Lord I Will Sing
The Earth is Full of Beauty


Alleluia:

Alleluia, Give the Glory
Celtic Alleluia
Marriage Alleluia

Offertory:

By Name I Have Called You
Gift of Finest Wheat
Here I am Lord
I am the Bread of Life
Like a Shepherd
My Tribute
Servant Song
Song of Ruth
Taste and See
The Lord is My Hope
You are Mine
You are Near
With This Ring
Where There is Love
Wherever You Go

Sign of Peace:

Irish Blessing
Irish Wedding Song
Let There Be Peace
Prayer of St. Francis

Communion:

Amazing Grace
Behold the Lamb
Blessed are They
Eat This Bread
In Remembrance of Me
One Bread One Body
Panis Angelicus
Seek Ye First
Servant Song
Taste and See
We Remember
The Supper of the Lord

Presentation to Mary:

Ave Maria - Gounod or Schubert
Mother at Thy Feet I'm Kneeling
Hail Mary Gentle Woman
Mary's Song

Recessional:

Hornpipe
Joyful Joyful
Processional from Water Music
Rondeau
Trumpet Tune
Wedding March



1 comment:

  1. I am always searching online for articles that can help me. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job! mother son wedding dances

    ReplyDelete